It’s less that two weeks away! On Sunday, May 19, almost three miles of the famous Peachtree Street will be closed to cars and open to human-powered transportation for Atlanta Streets Alive. This route covers most of the street’s length through Midtown and Downtown and will run from 2pm-6pm.
Cyclists and pedestrians will enjoy musical entertainment and activities throughout the route. It’s a great event that I’ve been happy to see in Atlanta the last couple of years and I’m particularly excited for it to be on a high-profile street like this.
Saporta Report has a post about the event, tying it into the push for increased pedestrian infrastructure in Midtown. Here’s a quote:
Property owners were asked what should be the highest priority for the Midtown Improvement District to invest its money.
The No. 1 answer was pedestrian projects, such as sidewalks, streetlights and crossings with 58 percent saying it was a very high priority and 36 percent saying it was a high priority for a combined total of 94 percent.
“It seems to me as though there is widespread acceptance from everybody that walkable, urban places are where people want to be and where they want to invest,” said Kevin Green, president and CEO of the Midtown Alliance.
Oddly, the post also points to survey results that show property owners to not place nearly as much value in cycling. Maybe seeing the cyclists on Peachtree will change some minds. As I’ve posted before, cyclists are great customers for local businesses.
This is awesome — Streets Alive, the ciclovia-type event that closes an Atlanta street to cars, is going to be on the city’s main street for the first time in 2013.
Previous routes have been Edgewood Avenue from Downtown to Old Fourth Ward, and Highland Avenue alongside the NE Atlanta Beltline path. This time, the route will be on Peachtree Street and will go from Downtown at Edgewood Avenue all the way up to 17th Street in Midtown!
What a huge event this will be for the city, to have the main drag closed to cars and full of cyclists and pedestrians.
The date is May 19, 2013. Keep up with news on activities for the event at AtlantaStreetsAlive.com.
What a packed weekend it’s going to be. Three of my favorites are happening this Saturday and Sunday and I’m going to try to hit them all.
On Saturday night there’s the Flux Night arts event in Castleberry Hill with “projections, dance, performance, music, sound and light installations, and other audience interactions.”
Then on Sunday there’s Sunday in the Park — a great way to take in the beauty and history of the Victorian-ear Oakland Cemetery.
And finally, also on Sunday is Streets Alive. It includes 2 miles of car-free open streets plus the Beltline path and a tour of Ponce City Market. Should be great.
EDITED TO ADD: I should also mention Taste of Atlanta in Tech Square this weekend. Not my kinda thing, but it’s really popular.